The retaining wall is a structure that holds the ground behind it. There are many types of materials that can be used to make retaining walls such as concrete blocks, cast concrete, processed wood, ordinary stones or large rocks. Some are easy to use but have shorter life spans, but all types are able to defend the soil. Over the years many different types of retaining wall materials have been used to change the landscape in various places. What we usually encounter is railroads or processed wood, stone walls, natural stones, bricks, and concrete blocks.
1. Before deciding to start your projects, you should know what retaining wall can do. There are different types of applications, such as:
Preventing Soil Erosion; If there are some hills on your property, the erosion must be a concern for you. Implementing retaining walls can avoid and lessen some of that erosion by cutting down the position of a slope and withstanding the soil back.
Adding Useful Spaces; If your property is situated on a hill, retaining walls can be installed to create usable spaces. Retaining walls can be used to make gardens and terraces.
Preventing floods; If you are livening in a flooding area, applying a retaining wall can prevent the flood or at least lessen the damage caused by floods.
2. Signs that you need to implement retaining walls on your property and yard:
The location of your home: If your home is at the bottom of a hill or at the bottom of a steep incline you should definitely consider installing a retaining wall, especially if there is a very tall or steep incline.
Your foundation is at risk; If you even suspect that the erosion of a hill around your home could impact the foundation of your home, a retaining wall should be installed. Erosion on a slope can compact an uphill foundation.
3. Where to use retaining walls?
1. A slopping area: Building a property on sloping ground is a wonderful idea, but will become very dangerous if you do not install retaining walls. According to Retaining Walls Perth, a famous company in Australia, a sloping ground is a perfect place to apply retaining walls. It is not safe to build houses, yards, and gardens on sloping areas without retaining walls. When heavy rain comes, the rainwater can easily deteriorate your yard and garden. The soils will be scattered all around your property. It will create a chaotic mess. Retaining walls will hold the soils so that it will not scatter everywhere. Retaining walls will make your yard flat which is good for the parking area, playground, and sports fields.
2. A Hill area: Having properties on hills is great. Our building will look more wonderful. Having a house on a hill will allow us to be able to see more beautiful objects. It is an excellent idea to make property on a hill, but it is also quite difficult to manage it without installing retaining walls. Your buildings and houses will be easily destroyed without a retaining wall. Furthermore, it is hard to make some decorations like creating a garden or making a sports field. So, hill areas are good places to install retaining walls.